Mar 2, 2007

Blog 101

I've never been good at diaries. For one thing, the word itself is kind of gay. "Journal" is better, but while it may conjure up images of explorers or soldiers or what have you, it also reminds me of grade school when we had those month-long projects that included a directive to "keep a journal of your progress". That wooshed any kind of cool adventure hero right out of "journal" and replaced him with an amateur scientist (I can hear some of you, like my wife, saying right now, "but what's wrong with amateur scientists?" Dorks.)

The good thing is that so far, blogging has seemed like a different activity all together. A diary is totally private, a journal serves the purpose of recording a specific thing, but a blog is just a bunch of random crap, and as such is close to having my own private Cwod magazine (on the very remote chance that there's someone reading this that doesn't know what that is, follow the appropriate link under "Friends"). It's a given that you are writing for others to read it, even if in practice you know very few people might. That effects both what you write, and how much you write it.

The thing is, I don't really know what to do with a blog yet. It's interesting for me to see how my friends do it, though. Bridget is doing the "regular weekly topic" thing; in her case childhood stories on Wednesdays. Ryan goes the commentary road by picking off news headlines and improving on them. Ben and Mike write about things they know about: art and crackpottery, respectively.

OK, fine. Some of Mike's conspiracies are less crackpotted than others. Happy, Mike?

Anna tends to blog more like I currently do, a combination of updates and general reflections. Nick does the same, when he bothers to update. Ahem.

And it seems like everybody plays to their strengths; Bridget has the Irish gift of storytelling, Ryan is always at his best when he makes fun of stuff, and so on. I'm just not sure what my MO should be, or if there should even be one. I guess it'll work itself out.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Ummm, Andy, are you not forgetting what Andy is; Video games, martial arts, long hair, tats, Okley sunglasses, sexy silky shorts, sweatshirts with the sleeves pushed up and a whole lot more. You can thank me later, you now have enough material to cover several weeks if not several months.

Anonymous said...

Jason's got the idea! Hey, Andypants! Here's some titles of blog entries that you can use to write future posts:

"If It Doesn't Have the Word 'Castlevania' in the Title, It's Just Another Crappy Video Game."

"Swiss Cake Rolls: My Lifelong Obsession."

"Why Get a Bed When You Can Sleep on the Furniture?"

"I Wrote a List Today."

"Me And My Really Long Woven Belt."

"I Was Listening to Republica Before Republica Was Cool."

Mike said...

Seriously. An Andy O'Neil blog is a blog about those various and sundry items of interest that happen to hit your fancy. Need I remind you about the wonders of cheeze wiz, the lameness of big-pants guys, how awesome ninjas are, and the mightiness of The Orb?

The Internet Peasent is just that. He's not a politician, or a conspiracy theorist, or a jester ... he's a meanderer who takes note and comments on his observations. He's the modern jack-of-all-trades, who sees everything and nothing at the same time.

He's the everyman of the internet.

You know who he is.

He's you.

Ben Hatke said...

Hey Andy. By MO I think you are referring to "Modus operandi" (or however you spell it. Well I think your Modus operandi should be;

MO blog blog entries that are MO awesome!

Anyshay, I think your blog is coming along just fine. I liked your last entry. Good show. Maybe if we formed a blog ring this would BE like an online Cwod magazine. It would also be like the voltron lions when they work together.

Anonymous said...

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL I SAW A BLOG ONCE WHERE SQURIRRELS WERE FIGHTING WITH LIGHTSABERS I CAN'T SEEM TO FIND IT ANYMORE I LOST THE INTERNET ADDRESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MAYBE YOU COULD WRITE ABOUT THE SQUIRRELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, first off, thanks for the compliment! I never really thought of myslef as having the Irish gift of story-telling! Cool! Thanks!

Also, I'm kinda trying to figure out what to do with my blog too. It's not like I have some sort of outline. I probably tend toward stories, yes. But I was just about to put up something newsy too. The Wednesday Childhood Story is about as structured as my blog will get! I mean, I wrote a short little thing about CHEESE the other day! I just think of random stuff, or stories, and post those. I don't care if only one person reads it, I'm just looking for comments. That's what it's all about for me! No, but seriously, I think it's great that you have a blog and that I encouraged you and everyone else to do it too!

For me, it's great fun to go to my blog and post something if I'm inspired. Then I go down my list of links and check out everyone else's blogs. I think I enjoy the "community" of it all. Not that we didn't have that on the CWOD site, but now it's a little more specific/personal to the individual. I don't know if that all makes sense, but I know you gotta enjoy the NO CHARACTER LIMITS! It's what you guys have been dreaming of!

But anyway, I like your blog, I will continue to check in on it, and my advice is use Jason's suggestion in conjunction with just having fun with it.

Write like you have an audience, but also write naturally and just let 'er RIP!!!!

Ben Hatke said...

Having a blog s one thing. Doing your pushups is another.

Anonymous said...

Eh? to following links is finding new place, read words.

Same, go to front not glory of art, maybe something else, squirle, Jesus riding monsters.

Oh!, to maybe I start blog, send word to crowds.

Mike said...

... the Hell???

Steak said...

FLOATY!!!!

Ben Hatke said...

Dude, Floaty!

You do need your own blog. Good to see you here float-man.

Floaty said...

Ben!,

I try post your place, but somedays, my word not appear. Now I make blog to see.

Ben Hatke said...

Fogive me Floaty. Yuo are like a brother to me.

Anonymous said...

Nono, the reason why Andy needs a blog is because now when he says "Well it's like this. . . . (long explanation.)" we can all go here and read his reasoning with himself and laugh at him, or get angry or agree with him.

Besides then we get Floaty too. DEAR DEAR FLOATY.